According to the United Nations, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is a management concept whereby companies integrate social and environmental concerns in their business operations and interactions with their stakeholders. CSR aims to embrace responsibility for corporate actions and to encourage a positive impact on the environment and stakeholders including consumers, employees, investors and communities.
According to Social Enterprise Report and Awards (SERAs) 2014, many corporate organizations in Nigeria are doing well in CSR but seven enlisted here in hierarchical order are the best.
- Nigerian Breweries PLC: This is a socially responsible corporate organization with a good track record of corporate social initiatives in sport, education, the environment, water, youth empowerment, talent development and sports. In recognition of its outstanding performance in CSR, Nigerian Breweries was awarded the ‘Most Socially Responsible Company’ in Nigeria at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.
- ExxonMobil Nigeria: ExxonMobil has been committed to working with local institutions, international NGOs and governments to improve the state of healthcare in the nation. It has made significant contribution in terms of education at various levels, such as granting scholarships and developing educational facilities. It was awarded best in community involvement and health care CSR at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.
- Promasidor Nigeria: Promasidor is distinguished in education CSR in Nigeria. The Cowbell National Secondary Schools Mathematics Competition (NASSMAC) is one of their CSR. It was the most voted online company on CSR at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.
- DHL Nigeria: DHL CSR focus on environmental protection, disaster management and education. It was awarded best company in youth focus CSR at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.
- Shell Nigeria: Shell places great importance on making a difference in the environment in which people live and work, fostering and maintaining relationships with communities, taking care to be a good neighbour and contributing to sustainable development initiatives. It was awarded best in stakeholder engagement and best human right at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.
- Airtel Nigeria: One of highly recognized Airtel’s CSR is ‘Touching Lives’ a platform for ordinary people in need and for those making a difference in people’s lives. On this show, men and women, young and old, rural and urban get uplifted, rewarded and acknowledged. The programme intends to bring relief and succor to their lives and giving them a chance to fulfill their life long dreams. Airtel was awarded best company in company education at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.
- Total Nigeria Plc: Total has been performing well in ensuring the safety use of their products by the customers through equipment and installations extinguishers, sand boxes, etc. Total was awarded most improve CSR and best in environmental at the 2014 edition of the SERAs.